Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Headphones are Fantastic

Since this page has somehow morphed itself into Rants-R-Us, I'm just going to roll with it. This weeks gripe: Why do people insist on listening to their portable music device (iPod, iPhone, Zune, what have you), either with the volume up so loud that everyone in a three mile radius can hear, or on speakers (as with the iPhone). When you're walking down the street, I totally support you wanting some theme music to jam to as you stroll merrily along. But, to be honest, while you may just looooove Beyonce, she's not my cup of tea. So you go right on and listen to her, but DON'T FORCE ME TO. Headphones exist for a reason: to allow someone to listen to his or her choice music in a personal setting, and not disturb others. So, while iHomes are just fabulous, they are not meant to be this century's boombox. There's no need to walk around with your iHome cranked up, running on battery, blasting the new Kanye album, or whatever. Cuz A) a little dinky white speaker system is SO not badass and B) I'm just trying to walk to class, man. I didn't ask for a concert. If I wanted to have myself a listen, I'd go to Borders and check it out. But, I don't. You'd be pissed if someone walked around blasting Yanni or Celine Dion, so what makes your musical choices that much more acceptable? Sorry, dude, I think your music sucks. So turn it down, pop in the ear buds, and get over yourself. Enjoy your blissful musical solitude.

No comments: