Thursday, March 27, 2008

Selfish

This kind of ties in with my whole "manners" rant, but oh well. When did it become acceptable for people to completely ignore all other members of the human race? The other day, as I was leaving a supermarket, these lame college dudes were sitting at their car eating lunch with all the doors open. I was parked next to them, so as I approached my car I asked them if I could get in. One of the guys said "oh, sorrrrry" in a sarcastic tone, his friend barely moved, and then didn't feel any need to close his car doors as I backed out of my parking spot. So I was forced to maneuver my way around his unnecessarily open car doors just so I could leave and not scratch my vehicle. What the hell is that? Who are these stoner kids who feel so entitled that they don't need to move for another person...let alone a moving vehicle?!
I just have had a hard time lately grappling with this shittastic sense of entitlement. How were these people raised? The same people who will shoulder-swipe you on the sidewalk or in the store, and not even acknowledge that they just gave you whiplash. Or even better, that person then expects YOU to apologize to THEM. Perhaps its just my jaded side talking after years of retail work and seeing the absolute worst in people, but what is happening to the world? Is chivalry really that dead, in all senses? No wonder this world is going to shit, if no one can even muster a minuscule amount of dignity to show respect or even recognition of other human beings. Holier-than-thou you are NOT, dear selfish person. Swallow a reality pill along with your Prozac tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

Francesca said...

College guys are the worst when they are rude, cause they so incredibly able bodied and young, and oh-so-charming when they are actually polite. I loooove polite guys. But when they slam the door in your face, or watch an older lady drop some stuff, and dont offer to pick it up, I want to shake my head at them for being so lazy, and a typical product of our gross MTV generation. I mean, these are the future of the country, we need to live side by side and bad manners are just so gross.